Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

New silk duvet!

 
China is known for it's silk so I thought it would be fitting to buy a silk duvet to bring back home. My friend Shauna and I went about an hour away to a huge bedding/curtain market. There were a lot of different vendors selling the duvets, but just chose this one as we saw some foreigners buying one at it :) Plus, they grabbed a guy for us who spoke a little english!
 
First, you need to chose the weight you would like. 1, 2, or 3kg. I chose the 3kg (6.6lbs) for the nice MN winters! Mulberry silk is a great insulator, hypoallergenic, lightweight, and temperature adjusting.
 
Remember our lovely silkworm pets, Henry and Percy?? Well their cocoon is what these duvets are made from! They are put in hot water then spun to use their silk fibers.. Pretty cool :)
 

Here she is weighing my 3kg of silk
 

Thank you guy who spoke english!!
 
 
Unfortunately, my camera was acting up and didn't record all my videos. But after it was weighed 2 ladies each grabbed an end and tugged at each piece until it was thinned out. This picture shows some of it tugged already.

 
Each lady took a side and stretched it out in one great big piece. I ordered a US King size.
 
 

 
Layer after layer they kept stacking it!
 
 
They then fold it up in.
 
 
Cover goes on

 
Time to stitch it up
 
 

 
Flip it and stitch it again

 
Stitch the middle so it stays put

 
Fold it up


 
Bag it and DONE.. Oh yeah and it only took 10 minutes!!!!! Awesome to watch my silk duvet being made in front of me :) Total cost was 650rmb, just under $100.
 
It feels so soft and silky. Can't wait to use it at home!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment