Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Happy China-versary!!

November 8th marked our 1 year anniversary since moving the family from Minnesota to Shanghai, China.. We boarded the plane and left everyone we knew and loved to a strange unknown place on the other side of the world.. A year later I am happy to report that our trip here has been wonderful!

The kids have made so many friends from all over the world, are learning Chinese, and have both learned to swim. Rilynn is learning the violin and has learned to read. They both love going to school. But the best part is- is that the kids are experiencing and learning a whole new culture that they wouldn't have ever dreamed of living.
Myself, I am thoroughly enjoying the life of a tai-tai here. I am taking another photography course here as well as starting up a cupcake and cake pop home business. I love being able to go on field trips and school events and am also Brady's parent class mom.
Chad is a very dedicated and hard working employee. Unfortunately for him he is either traveling or at the office so really doesn't get to experience China as much as we do, but without him and his job we would've never been able to have taken this adventure. So we are so thankful for the sacrifices he makes for us!!

Things I love here..

McDonalds delivered hot to my door in 10 minutes for a $3 value meal.

$7 a month cell phone bill

Never having to worry about getting a designated driver :)

Unpredictability- My days are never the same. I never know what I will see that day - may be a grown woman grocery shopping in her heels and flannel PJ's or a dog wearing sunglasses and a jacket sitting in a front bicycle basket.. Priceless!

$1.50 DVD's out the same time that they are in the theaters in the US :)

No bathroom cleaning for the past year! I don't mind cleaning, but toilets are just not fun for anyone!! LOL

Things I'll never get used to...

Spitting : Doesn't matter male or female, young or old, anyone will hawk a loogie anywhere! GROSS!!

Nose picking : A bunch of gold digging going on here...So GROSS!

Smells : Being a nurse I thought I had mastered the ability of breathing through my mouth, but at times the smells here can be unbearable!!

Squatters : As much as Rilynn prefers them, I will never master them. I am guilty of having to take off a shoe and take a leg out just to pee!!

Staring- They never got the memo here that staring at someone is considered rude!

Scooters : My worst enemy here. They feel they own the road and abide by no rules whatsoever. Must keep your eyes open for them everywhere!

Things I really miss..

All of you of course!

Driving- In the past year I've only been able to drive a couple of weeks. As nice as it sounds to have a driver I really miss my freedom!

Taco Bell and Diet Dr. Pepper!!

Target! There is no one stop shop here..

Blue skies, fresh air, and a starry filled night


On the plane to Shanghai last year

 Amazing how much they grow in a year.. They both look so little :)

Our little Brady at IKEA losing the battle to jet lag.. LOL

Thank you all for your love and support over this past year! LOVE YOU ALL!!

We will be home December 10 - January 2 for the holidays. Hopefully we will get a chance to see everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment